Full-Time Senior Commercial Insurance Advisor
If you believe in the same things we do, let’s talk.
First West Credit Union is a tight-knit team of smart, friendly, creative, skillful and passionate professionals spread across British Columbia and beyond. We’ve come together because we believe in making a real difference in people’s financial lives. We believe that keeping things simple, showing leadership, and banking cooperatively can change the world for the better.
We are seeking a Senior Commercial Insurance Advisor to join our Vancouver Island team. We are open to considering talent who may be based anywhere from the North to the South of the Island.
The Senior Commercial Insurance Advisor is responsible for the management and growth of a commercial insurance portfolio through the sale of a full range of commercial insurance products and related products and services. This role fosters valued relationships with existing and potential new commercial members and delivers superior value by maintaining regular contact and facilitating quality referrals to all other First West lines of business. The role’s portfolio includes products with annual premiums in excess of $1,500 to $2,500 (threshold will be determined by each region and associated business needs).
Here’s what would be included as a part of your typical day:
- Business Development: Proactively seeks, identifies and evaluates potential new business opportunities by uncovering members’ needs and recommending appropriate insurance products to develop relationships with members and support business growth. Solicits new business, and promotes the sale of commercial insurance products by actively pursuing leads through internal referrals and personal business development. The Senior Commercial Insurance Advisor maintains the relationship with the client by contacting them to confirm renewal instructions such as updated operations and obtaining updated GAR etc.
- New Business Sales: Maintains up to date and accurate records including but not limited to: key and pertinent member and policy data; and presents in person or email, quotations/proposals to the client.
- Business Referrals: Identifies referral opportunities to other lines of business within First West to assist in achieving team and individual sales and referral targets; and builds strong and profitable value added relationships with internal and external members, co-workers, business partners and members of our local communities.
- Portfolio Management: Maintains and grows a commercial portfolio; performs all duties related to management of commercial relationships including: maintains regular contact; ensures appropriate insurance coverage is in place; and provides claims and customer service support as required.
- Risk Management: Manages all account collection activities and ensures adherence to established policies, guidelines and procedures; and keeps industry and product knowledge current, including any applicable regulatory requirements.
- Two or more years experience in level two insurance sales and service, or equivalent combination of education/training
- Experience working with the Epic Broker Management System, or equivalent.
- Competence in Microsoft Office Applications
- Thorough knowledge of commercial insurance
- Technologically savvy – working on the road and accessing systems remotely, accessible via phone or text messaging
- Ability to translate technical insurance terms for members
- Risk management and analysis skills in insurance
- Knowledge of basic financial and insurance products and services and key partners
- Growth of client base through networking, attending events, etc.
- A competitive base salary plus performance-based incentive compensation and annual merit pay increases
- Flexible benefits as well as retirement benefits
- Vacation time, a flexible bonus day off every year, and the ability to purchase up to five additional flex days
- Other financial perks such as waived or reduced financial service fees, reduced rates on personal loans, mortgages, and vehicle leases, and no-interest loans to buy computers or fitness equipment for home use