Full-Time Life Insurance Specialist
If you believe in the same things we do, let’s talk.
First West Credit Union is a tight-knit team of smart, friendly, creative, skillful and passionate professionals spread across British Columbia and beyond. We’ve come together because we believe in making a real difference in people’s financial lives. We believe that keeping things simple, showing leadership, and banking cooperatively can change the world for the better.
This role provides professional Life Insurance planning services, support, advice and assistance to members on their Life Insurance needs. Receives referrals from branch personnel and Wealth Management team members for member/clients Life Insurance needs analysis and provides the appropriate life insurance policies. Pro-actively seeks business development opportunities to promote growth of existing/new member/clients Life Insurance needs and promotes other credit union and credit union subsidiary products and services. Provides mentoring to Credit Union staff and subsidiaries staff.
Here’s what would be included as a part of your typical day:
- Consult with members/clients on personal Life Insurance needs by analyzing data on income, assets, liabilities, and wealth transfer objectives, in conjunction with member/client goals. Determine needs and identifies and make recommendations for member/client consideration; provides information on a wide range of Life Insurance products and services including Universal Life, Critical Illness, Buy Sell Agreements, Term Life, Accident and Disability, Key Man and Wealth transfer strategy options.
- Refer members to legal, trust, estate, insurance or other specialists as member/clients’ needs are identified; ensure the member/client is aware of the products/services available from the credit union and branch relationships are maintained for all other personal banking needs.
- Process Life Insurance applications, conduct follow-up discussions with Life Insurance companies and/or contractors with Life Insurance companies, doctors, paramedical services when and where required to assist with the processing of the application and places life insurance policies in member/client file.
- Conduct follow up interviews with members at least every two years to identify any changes within member/client circumstances and address where needs have changed.
- Pursue business development opportunities in accordance with ethical standards and Life Insurance Counsel of British Columbia and all regulatory requirements, by identifying and pursuing leads through networking, community and social activities and other non-business functions.
- Schedule and hold product knowledge sessions with member/clients and staff on features and benefits of a range of Life Insurance products; act as a technical resource to branch staff through individual information sessions and demonstrations on the features, benefits, and procedures associated with Life Insurance products and conduct follow up where required to ensure understanding; identify sales-oriented branch staff who desire to become an Life Insurance Specialist and provides support and mentoring for career development.
- Maintain a professional standard of conduct at all times while promoting a positive image of the organization.
- Maintain compliance with all audit and risk management requirements and all other internal policies.
Required Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
- Life License Qualifying Program (LLQP) required
- Minimum of three years’ experience within the industry.
- Complete the CLU designation within two years from the date of hire.
- In addition completion of Certified Financial Planner or equivalent recognized accreditation program within an agreed upon time frame depending on when the CLU accreditation is acquired.
- Must meet all regulatory requirements re: continuing education credits, credit worthiness to hold the position and no compliance errors or complaints.
Why work for us?
Our employees give us a lot and we think it’s only right to give something back. We offer a total rewards package that includes:
- A competitive base salary plus performance-based incentive compensation and annual merit pay increases
- Flexible benefits as well as retirement benefits
- Vacation time, a flexible bonus day off every year, and the ability to purchase up to five additional flex days
- Other financial perks such as waived or reduced financial service fees, reduced rates on personal loans, mortgages, and vehicle leases, and no-interest loans to buy computers or fitness equipment for home use
But most of all, we’re invested in our local communities. Our initiatives are far-reaching with a special focus on raising food, funds and awareness for our local food banks. We volunteer and employees can be provided with paid time off to volunteer their time to assist in serving an organization.
What’s your place in the First West story? Apply now and let’s find out together!
First West regrets that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Diversity & Inclusion
First West Credit Union is committed to diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to create an inclusive, accessible environment for our candidates and employees that reflects the communities in which operate. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment or interview process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms or other types of accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.